Sunday, April 22, 2012

Crowd Sourcing

Project Concept



My 'inspiration' for this concept came from a Machine Head concert I went to a few months ago.  During their last song, they put up a slideshow on the wall behind them of pictures of fans holding up signs where they wrote short messages of how Machine Head's music impacted their lives.  Some wrote stuff like "Machine Head helped me through a breakup," or "The Blackening helped cheer me up after my dog died," and some were just messages like "I drove six hours to see Machine head because they're the fucking best."  Looking back on it, it showed me that the same music can have adversely different effects of people.  My concept for a crowd sourcing project is a website where people would post a picture of a concert that they went to and write a short message where they say what that band/music/concert means to them.  The purpose is to show different music can effect people in very different ways.  The title came from a Machine Head song called "The Blood The Sweat The Tears" which to me perfectly embodies the experience of going to a metal concert.



Participation 


I chose the Johnny Cash Project first because of the six listed, it looked like the most straight foward, but also because I liked the end result the most.  Seeing different depictions of the same image was pretty interesting.


I found the million masterpiece after googling "online crowdsourcing art" or something like that, and it looked like something similar to the Johnny Cash Project but with a different end result.  I tried to draw the cover art of a Gojira record, but it came out looking like a third grade drawing assignment.


The third one I did was the Iraqi Memorial project.  My proposal for the project was to organize a group of musicians to play the Iraqi national anthem and other Iraqi music in Washington DC at a public place like the national mall or a monument on the anniversary of the invasion.

8 comments:

  1. YEAH I freakin love it!!! AND would participate is such a site. I could recover all sorts of old metal concert photos and that actually sounds fun to do!
    I think you should pursue this!!!
    no really...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hah its a good idea. i like it. probably wouldn't participate in it because i dont go to concerts, but still cool for people who do! maybe add a little more to the site too..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason,
    I'm excited you were able to push your project further and create something that exists as more than another social media site. You made this art by asking your participants to look at the impact of music on their lives and share this with others. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great idea, i love the concept of fans being able to see their favorite artists and have a sneak preview of what to expect, music junkies unite, great job jason

    ReplyDelete
  5. This idea is really cool. The only issue would be making people aware of it. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The idea is pretty awesome. Along the lines of Bret's comment I think it would be pretty cool to get a person's perspective on a band or location before attending the event for future notice or something along those lines. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you probably expected, I am stoked on this idea. I'm ready to participate right now! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont attend metal concerts, but I could totally write something up about Britney Spears.

    ReplyDelete